Attach static object to RG2 gripper

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
cxt

Attach static object to RG2 gripper

Post by cxt »

Hi,

I am implementing grasping of complex shape objects, and found attach mode grasping in RG2 gripper code is very useful. I set object to dynamic and found it worked well when the grasping pose is well designed, however it made the object flying around the gripper when the grasp pose is not that accurate, even attaching to gripper. So I tried to set it to static and then I found the last joint of manipulator became very laggy when it is moving. It took a long time to reach the ik goal, and the case remains the same after I set the object mass and inertia to be super small (~10e-8). Is it possible to get this attach mode grasping work with static object and keep manipulator joint working normally?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Attach static object to RG2 gripper

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

not sure how you implemented that exactly, but is your question related to your other post? If your object is static and non-respondable, it should not have any effect on the manipulator's motion. Make sure to have the physics engine informed about a possible change via the sim.resetDynamicObject function. Look also at your scene by clicking the visualize and verify dynamic content toolbar button, while simulation is running. That can give you important clues.

Cheers

cxt

Re: Attach static object to RG2 gripper

Post by cxt »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Actually this is not very related to my post of setting object back to static from dynamic, as what I have tried is to set the grasped object static + respondable or dynamic + respondable. I cannot set it to be non-respondable as it will fall automatically, but I haven't tried setting it non-respondable when attaching it to the gripper and respondable again after releasing it. I will try the new combination. Thanks!