how to use simExtExternalRenderer plugin?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
GilmarJeronimo

how to use simExtExternalRenderer plugin?

Post by GilmarJeronimo »

Hello CoppeliaRobotics team,

I'm trying to create a web browser interface for CoppeliaSim using WebGL, I've read in other posts that both simExtExternalRenderer and simExtOpenGL3Renderer can handle this problem, but I'm trying to understand how these plugins work. It would be very useful if someone could provide an example to clarify this topic. Thank You!

I'm using CoppeliaSim 4.2.0.5.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: how to use simExtExternalRenderer plugin?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

we are working on a flexible framework based on WebSockets and three.js that allows to stream 3D content from CoppeliaSim to a webbrowser, and return feedback back to CoppeliaSim. This should be much more flexible and clean than to go through the external renderer plugin.
We hope to be able to provide an early beta demonstrator within one week.

Cheers

GilmarJeronimo

Post by GilmarJeronimo »

Thank you!
coppelia wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 16:01 Hello,

we are working on a flexible framework based on WebSockets and three.js that allows to stream 3D content from CoppeliaSim to a webbrowser, and return feedback back to CoppeliaSim. This should be much more flexible and clean than to go through the external renderer plugin.
We hope to be able to provide an early beta demonstrator within one week.

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Ok, you can access an early beta from here. Start CoppeliaSim, select [Menu bar --> Modules --> Connectivity --> Visualization stream]. Then, in your local browser, type:

Code: Select all

localhost:23020
This should reproduce the 3D content in the browser.

Keep in mind that this is an early version, where all messages are polled and handled from within a single add-on (simAddonVisualization stream.lua). This makes things quite slow, but you have a lot of flexibility and can modify things easily.
We are however working at a version where all messages are generated as events from CoppeliaSim directly, also adding other visual items next to shapes.

Cheers