Tune object's property to grasp stably

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
zhy149

Tune object's property to grasp stably

Post by zhy149 »

Hello, I tried to import objects from YCB datasets (without texture.stl). But after they are converted into convex shapes in CoppeliaSim, they don't seem to be stable. I'd like to ask if there is a tutorial instructs how to tune object's property, and how each change affects the object's dynamics.

Thank you!

zhy149

Re: Tune object's property to grasp stably

Post by zhy149 »

zhy149 wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 21:55 Hello, I tried to import objects from YCB datasets (without texture.stl). But after they are converted into convex shapes in CoppeliaSim, they don't seem to be stable. I'd like to ask if there is a tutorial instructs how to tune object's property, and how each change affects the object's dynamics.

Thank you!
To make the question more detailed, I think the question is how to properly convert an external simple shape to a convex shape so that it can be respondable and dynamic and not shaking in the simulation.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

there can be many sources for the shaking. So it is important to first understand why it is shaking. Can you share a simplified, self-containing scene that illustrates the shaking?

In general, try to use primitive shapes, such as cuboids, spheres and cylinders that you create within CoppeliaSim: [Menu bar --> add --> primitive shape --> ...]

If that is not possible or too time-consuming, use convex (or convex-decomposed) shapes. You can easily generate those: [Menu bar --> Edit --> Morph into convex Shape(s)] or [Menu bar --> Morph into convex-decomposed shape(s)...]

Shaking can of course also occur when there are constraints that cannot be resolved, e.g. such as two overlapping shapes that are linked via a joint.

Cheers

zhy149

Post by zhy149 »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Zz3VQ ... share_link
coppelia wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 15:28 Hello,

there can be many sources for the shaking. So it is important to first understand why it is shaking. Can you share a simplified, self-containing scene that illustrates the shaking?

In general, try to use primitive shapes, such as cuboids, spheres and cylinders that you create within CoppeliaSim: [Menu bar --> add --> primitive shape --> ...]

If that is not possible or too time-consuming, use convex (or convex-decomposed) shapes. You can easily generate those: [Menu bar --> Edit --> Morph into convex Shape(s)] or [Menu bar --> Morph into convex-decomposed shape(s)...]

Shaking can of course also occur when there are constraints that cannot be resolved, e.g. such as two overlapping shapes that are linked via a joint.

Cheers
Hello,

A simple scene is attached here, I have two ellipsoid cylinders created in the scene. But after they drop to the ground, they continuously shake. Can you help me check what's going on here and if there is any solution?
Thank you very much!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Make sure to switch to CoppeliaSim V4.5 or newer, and see my reply to your other post.

Cheers