3D printer nozzle simulation

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
matejvrobel

3D printer nozzle simulation

Post by matejvrobel »

Hello! So, I'm working on school project called "Variable Diameter Print Head Simulation." Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to simulate the material coming out of the nozzle. First, I tried generating paths with shapes or primitive shapes, but that was way too heavy for the simulation. Then, I started playing around with drawing lines and spheres.

Spheres look pretty good, but when the nozzle is small and moving fast, they leave empty spaces in between. Lines are okay too, but I can't seem to figure out how to set their diameter in meters – it's in pixels.

So, I'm wondering if there's a faster way to make spheres and fill those gaps efficiently. Or maybe there's a trick to setting line widths in meters? Or do you know any other methods that might work better for simulation?
Thanks

fferri

Re: 3D printer nozzle simulation

Post by fferri »

simply output more spheres :)

ideally you should output at least 1 sphere every unit of distance equal to sphere's radius... even more to get a more uniform look.

drawing objects are the fastest way if you don't need dynamics.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: 3D printer nozzle simulation

Post by coppelia »

You might also want to look at OC-Trees... those won't display spheres though, but would be ideal for additive manufact.

Cheers