portable export of a compound shape

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
maf

portable export of a compound shape

Post by maf »

Hi,
After doing some manual changes on an imported mesh, like division, merging and grouping (e.g. to have different colours for different parts of the same robot link), I would like to save the resulting compound shape.

I know I can save the model or the scene.
But I was wondering if I can export it into a mesh format usable outside Coppeliasim - so that I can open the mesh with another program and the separation in individual components is preserved.

I think that for example the collada format (.dae) supports compound shapes.
Do you know if assimp supports this?

Thanks anyway.

(Btw, the shape editing tools in Coppeliasim are very nice and very convenient, thanks for that)

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: portable export of a compound shape

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

if you select the compound shape, then navigate to [Menu bar > File > Export > Selection (shapes)...] then you can export it as *.dae format (i.e. collada).

Cheers

maf

Re: portable export of a compound shape

Post by maf »

Hi, of course I did that...
.. then I opened the exported mesh with another program and the separation in components was gone. But that is a limitation of that program, I erroneously thought it was an issue with the Coppelia export. My bad, sorry for the unnecessary question.

Btw, a minor thing FYI: when re-importing the exported .dae within Coppelia, it imports separate simple meshes for each component of the compound shape. Not the same compound that was exported in the first place. Re-grouping the meshes fixes it, obviously.

Thanks.