How to create a leg of hexapod robot with adsorption function?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
MaJiamu

How to create a leg of hexapod robot with adsorption function?

Post by MaJiamu »

Hello, I have two questions about how to create a leg of hexapod robot with adsorption funciton.

The first one is the spherical joint used in the ankle joint of legs doesn't work as expected. Actually, the spherical joint is supposed to act like a human ankle which obtains the ability of passive adaptation. And, I hope that the spherical joint can help hexapod to adapt rough ground rather than a single plane. Here is the simulation result show in a photo under the Torque/force mode without any other script on it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/2nYn34gBJikvic5f9

The second question is related to the first one. I am not sure whether it is possible to use MuJoCo engine to simulate a vacuum suction cup rather than a rigid one with the force add one it. Please give me some suggestions!

Thanks a lot for your time!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to create a leg of hexapod robot with adsorption function?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

for the scene hierarchy, your foot should be able to passively adapt to the floor. Maybe you can post your scene, then things will be more clear.
In any case, do not use a plane as floor, since a plane will not result in a stable behaviour with the physics engine. Instead, use a cuboid. Then verify that contact points are generated.

Once you have this working, then you can dynamically set-up a force sensor in a loop-closure configuration, in order to rigidly stick to the floor. This should also work fine with the MuJoCo engine.

Cheers